Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ultrasound Technology

I know women have been having babies from the beginning of time.  And now that I have participated in this miraculous event, I realize why something that is so natural was also so incredibly dangerous.  I understand more now why so many sweet babes were lost during childbirth -- and why so many mothers were too. 

I wish our technology had made those tragedies obsolete, but I know it has not.  Nevertheless, our technology has certainly helped doctors be aware of possible complications in some cases, and for that I am grateful.  Because I had a possible complication this pregnancy, and ultrasound technology was able to not only alert my doctor to the possibility but also let us know that all is well.

The concern was that at my 19 week ultrasound, they found my placenta to be low-lying and very near the cervix.  There were not major concerns at that point, because I had plenty of time for my uterus to grow and for that placenta to migrate up during the growth.  But it told the doctor they wanted to check again at around 32 weeks to make sure the placenta had migrated.  If not, I would have been scheduled for a c-section.  Tuesday was my 33 week check-up and they did the ultrasound.  Thankfully, my placenta is now plenty high and away from my cervix, so we do not anticipate any problems there. 

And while it's not my dream to have a c-section (though that can certainly still be required for other reasons... one never knows until at the moment!), I'm grateful that I could have found out if it was necessary with plenty of time to prepare. 

It's also nice to get bonus pictures of our little one growing.  We still don't know if we are having a boy or a girl, but we're so glad to see our little munchkin growing! (The quality of these weren't the greatest, but that's a face profile ;)...  Plus then I was too lazy to scan it, so I just took a picture of the picture!)


What are you grateful for today?

No comments: