Sunday, November 17, 2013

Jeni E

I don't know why, exactly, but Jeni has been on my mind quite a bit the last few weeks.  She is one of the wonderful people I met in Tuscaloosa; and though we aren't geographically near each other anymore, and we mostly keep in touch through facebook and blogs, I know she was placed in my life as a blessing from Heavenly Father.  And I am forever grateful for that.

Jeni and I met when we were assigned as Visiting Teaching companions for church.  And let me just say that Jeni is an awesome visiting teacher.  She was a great example to me in that area -- and though I have not made many improvements as a visiting teacher, I do want to one day live up to the example she set for me. 

And so, yet again, Visiting Teaching brought me a sweet friendship.  A sweet friendship during a time of my life when I was lonely and feeling alone.  When we would go out Visiting Teaching on Sunday afternoons, Jeni would always invite me to stay for dinner with her family.  And it was always so nice.  For one thing, this girl can cook!  I have gotten several of my most popular recipes from her.  And I can't think about (or make) oreo truffles, bacon-cheese mini appetizers, or broccoli with cashews in garlic butter sauce without thinking of her.  But more importantly, Jeni made me feel welcome in her home.  It felt like home.  And that meant a lot to me, especially at that time in my life.

Jeni is out-going and friendly to everyone.  Another way she is a great example to me.  Because, though I don't think I'm a rude person, I definitely don't go out of my comfort zone and approach people to say hello.  I'm more of the wallflower type when I'm in a group of people I don't know.  Or even when I'm in a familiar place full of familiar faces and there are a few new faces.

I consider Jeni one of my "fru-fru" friends.  And by this, I mean someone who has that knack for making a home look homey and feel warm and inviting.  Someone who enjoys pampering and such.  I often joke that I didn't get that girl gene.  I would be a terrible interior decorator.  And I don't know anything about hair styles or fashion.  And so, when I decided to get my first "real" haircut as an adult (usually my mom (or someone else) trims it straight across -- yes, I'm that fashionable) because I was losing so much of my hair and hoped a nice haircut would revitalize my hair...  Well, I asked Jeni to accompany me.  And she did.  It's one of the best memories I have of our friendship.  Because it meant a lot to me that she would recommend someone and then go with me in support of something that -- to me -- was a big deal. 

And when I left Tuscaloosa, Jeni baked me a mint chocolate cake.  Because she knew of my love for mint and chocolate together.  And it was delicious.  And she is amazing.  Because she did all these things -- and more -- with two little ones to take care of.  And she did it all so well.  Jeni is like super-mom to me :).  And I admire her so much.  She truly is, to me, charity personified. 

So, though we are miles away from each other now.  And though we don't talk or visit as we once did...  I am forever grateful that I met Jeni and that she was (and is) my friend.  And I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knew I needed a friend like Jeni -- and who placed her in my path once upon a time in Tuscaloosa.

No comments: