Sunday, April 6, 2014

General Conference Talks

I know, I know... I was grateful for something having to do with General Conference yesterday. 

But it's pretty awesome and wonderful.  Especially the talks. 

Today was the second half of General Conference.  And I loved so many quotes and talks today. 

My two favorite were about gratitude and about the importance and necessity of loads. 

And since these two talks were given by two of the men who regularly give talks I consider my favorite...  I guess that means Elder Bednar and President Uchtdorf are among my most favorite speakers.  Their messages are always timely, uplifting, optimistic and real

Among my favorite statements from these talks:

A reminder that we have agency and may sometimes choose (unwisely) "to limit our gratitude based on the blessings we feel we lack."

The uplifting thought that endings in this life are only temporary interruptions.

And -- my favorite thought-provoking question:  "How much of life do we miss by waiting for the rainbow before we thank God for the blessing of rain?"

I cannot express how much I loved that question.  Because even though I have been making a concerted effort to be grateful every day for something, I can't say I'm fully living with an attitude of gratitude.  When things aren't going great...  Am I still seeing the blessings?  Or do I wait until the storm is over and see the beautiful rainbow before I acknowledge the blessings of the storm?

The talk is available here.

I didn't grab out any specific quotes from Elder Bednar's talk on bearing loads.  But I loved the story he told in the beginning about the heavy load in the bed of the truck being necessary.  I loved how he applied that to our mortal lives and the burdens we each carry.  And I loved the questions he asked about the burdens we carry:  is the load I'm carrying going to provide spiritual traction?  Is it going to help me get back home?  And how beautiful the reminder that we are never alone -- that the Savior has promised that He will help carry our load.  I've felt Him help me.

That talk is available here.

And President Monson's talk on love and compassion.  So needed.  So appreciated.  I got choked up with the story about the delayed flight on which not a single passenger complained.  What a beautiful thought.  I found myself wondering if that would be true today too...  And definitely something that stood out from his talk was this:  Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals.

His talk is available here.

I'm looking forward to reviewing these talks in the months ahead.  I know there is much to be gleaned from them and from the others.

I am thankful for General Conference.  For the talks prepared and spoken.  And I am thankful for a prophet and apostles to guide [me] in these latter days.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: