Sunday, October 5, 2014

Life -- an Abundant One

Well, here it is.  My 365th post.  My 365th grateful.  I felt it only appropriate, after an entire year of daily gratitude for both the exciting and the mundane, the grand and the less-noticed, to be grateful for my life.  And not only just that I have life.  But that my life is an abundant one.  The past year has shown me that in new ways as I have chosen something each day for which to be grateful.

The fact that I live is an awesome thing.  True, it's not like I really know what the alternative is like...  But each new day comes with new opportunities for me to enjoy life and grow and learn.  Do I always embrace it?  Probably not as much as I should.  Do I always succeed in improving each day?  Unfortunately, no.  But each new day of my life, the opportunity is there.  The potential is there.  The blessing of experiencing mortality in all of its ups and downs is there.  And that's a beautiful thing.

The fact that my life is so full of goodness...  That is also awesome.  We can live and just exist.  But I don't think that's why we're here in this life.  We are here to find and experience joy.  Some days I have a hard time believing that...  But deep down I know it's true.  And so, as I've spent a year chronicling the things for which I am grateful -- the reasons I have to be grateful...  I recognize the blessings.  The people who have made life special and wonderful and fun for me over the years.  The food that I've been able to enjoy and savor (because wouldn't it be less than stellar to subsist on gruel every day of your life?).  The moments I've been able to treasure and turn into memories.

And so, as I ponder over all these things (and millions more I didn't even recognize over the course of this past year), I am left with a song lyric by One Republic to quote:  It's gonna be a good, good life.  (Because, honestly?  It already is.)

And because I know that's true -- that my life will continue to be good and abundant -- I will, from time to time, pop on and write another "grateful."  I just will not be holding myself to the daily blogging here from here on out.  But thank you all for joining me on this journey of gratitude.  It was good for my soul.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: