Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Tenant/Landlord Act

Say hello to our apartment complex's front staircase.  Do you see a problem?

So here's the thing:  I don't like to rock the boat.  Like ever.  I am incredibly non-confrontational.  Sometimes this serves me well.  Other times, not so much.

But when I got back from my trip to Utah in August (August 11th, to be exact), the stairs had been taken apart.  Meaning I had to unload the van from below and haul everything up a bunch of stairs.  All well.  It would be over soon enough and the stairs would (hopefully) be improved.

'Tis to laugh.

That picture was taken somewhere in the beginning of September.  And it doesn't look any different today.

This, by the way, was why I had a reason to meet all my neighbors.  Because, though I am not a boat-rocker...  Eventually, this is absurd.  And beyond absurd. 

Here's the thing:  the upstairs neighbors have to walk down a flight of steps, all the way around the building, up the stairs from the car port... just to check their mail.  We can't have company over without making them traipse around the entire building and up 18 stairs to make it to our level.  We are lacking an extra exit (which is hazardous in an emergency situation).  And this is in no way safe.  And...  How the heck are we supposed to move out?  We'd have to move huge stuff down the stairs, but they inserted extra beams which take up extra room on the already-small landing between the flights of stairs.

We got fed up.  Because not only was no work being done...  We weren't even being kept informed!  I even emailed the property manager and asked what the status was.  Their office manager's reply:  They were waiting to find out the status.  What the heck?  If they don't know, who does?

So my husband started researching.  And then we wrote a letter.  A letter that referenced some revised code of Washington.  Specifically the stuff relating to the landlord/tenant act.  A letter that at least lit a fire under the property managers to tell us what the heck was going on.  They taped letters to all of our doors (every single one of the tenants signed the letter -- we've all been fed up!) the day after they picked up the letter at the post office (I got certified return receipt, thank you very much).  Then they mailed us an "official" copy of the letter for good measure.  They said they were in the permitting process.  (We think they started the project without permits -- and the person who was going to do it for them decided it wasn't worth the liability and quit...  leaving them on choice but to get the permits, but being unable to fix anything and so we are where we are.)  They said the project should be done by the end of September. 

Well, it isn't.  But we got another letter yesterday.  Telling us they now have the permits and are making plans.  And that they may have to temporarily lodge us elsewhere (motel) while they do the construction. 

Yeah, this is fun.

So it's a hassle.  But I'm grateful that the tenant/landlord act exists.  Granted, we're still in limbo.  And I'm really annoyed, since I have some get-togethers planned at my place this month (one of them tomorrow) and I was sure we'd have a front staircase by now when I scheduled them.  But at least we had an avenue to pursue.  And it has kept the property managers in communication with us -- which is how it should have been from the start.  

I don't like to be a pest.  I don't like to start stuff.  But it's not okay to take advantage of people either.  And so I'm grateful we had some recourse.  And I guess we still could, if we wanted to keep pursuing it.  But I am hoping they will actually keep moving forward now that they know we're fed up and willing to move forward.  Grrr...

Anyway, rant over.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: