Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Reason to Meet My Neighbors

So we've lived here for going on 2 years now.  And of the 6 units here, we are actually among the 3 who have been here longest. 

And I'm really bad at just saying hi to people.  Even in my small apartment complex.  How sad is that?  The people who moved out that lived next door to us -- I totally should have been more talkative and friendly.  I chatted with the mom one day as she was moving out stuff from the house.  And she was really nice.  And I know I need to do better.  It's a good thing to know your neighbors. 

So I'm grateful I had a reason today to go around and introduce myself to all of them (that were home).  Okay, so the reason is totally lame:  our stairs have been under repair for 5 weeks (and I use the phrase "under repair" loosely, as there has not been any progress on it for the last 4 weeks).  We are only able to exit one way now, and the people upstairs have to come down one flight, go all the way around the apartment complex, then up a flight of stairs from the parking area just to check their mail.  Super super super annoying.  And actually unsafe, too.  I have pictures I could show you.  Sad, too. Because until this, we've really had no complaints about where we live. 

But anyway, so I am fed up.  And so I wrote a letter referencing Washington State Code.  And I went around to see if anyone else wanted to sign it.  And yeah, maybe not the best way to get to know the neighbors -- I mean, surely circumstances could be better...  But still an opportunity for me to get out of my comfort zone and introduce myself.  And I got a chance to meet them too. 

So hopefully this letter will light a fire under some rear ends...  Otherwise, we'll be sending all our documentation plus pictures to some County or City official who maybe can do something...  Fun, fun, fun.  But seriously -- 5 weeks without stairs?  That's ridiculous.

Okay, I need to stop...  This is my grateful blog, not my soapbox :).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: