Monday, March 17, 2014

The US Postal Service

I know they get a bad rap.

And, frankly, at Christmas time, when I'm standing in a line that reaches out the door a week before Christmas and there are only two windows open... and then one of those employees takes a break...  I get annoyed too.

But all that aside, I am grateful for the postal service we have here in the United States.  I've been writing a few letters this year, and I'm grateful I can put them outside the door and they will be picked up.  I don't even have to get out of my pajamas!

I'm grateful they bring my mail to my house, be it junk mail, fun mail, or even packages.  

And I know this isn't true for everyone...  Some people live far enough out of city limits that mail simply doesn't arrive quite at their doorstep.  But I think the majority of U.S. households are able to receive mail at their home address, if they so desire. 

I'm also grateful that, though there are some unfortunate situations in which mail is stolen, lost, or otherwise damaged; by and large, our mail system is dependable and secure.  Having lived in another country, I know that that isn't always the case with other postal services. 

I appreciate that I can send mail to my friends across these States.  It's just nice to be able to do that, even though I live so far from so many.  And yes, I know there is email.  But you can't email a present! :)

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: