Friday, November 15, 2013

Baby (and Mommy) Play-Dates

Today we enjoyed some company -- and some hot chocolate to boot :).

See, there were several of us pregnant at the same time in my church congregation (Ward).  And it was really a nice thing.  We would compare notes as our pregnancies progressed.  We attended each other's baby showers.  Most of us were going to be having a baby for the first time.  And it was just all-around nice to have that camaraderie of going through things together.  At least that's how I felt.  I can remember as d-day approached for each of us (I was #3 out of 5, so right in the middle!), I would think, "Well, she made it through...  My turn is getting closer."  Seeing the two before me 'survive' the whole labor process (both of them were also first-time moms) gave me hope that I would survive too.  Haha... I guess that sounds funny.  But I was treading in unknown territory.  And it was just comforting to see the others make it through!  (Yes, I know women have been doing this from the beginning of time, but still.)

Anyway, so now a few of us get together every so often with our babies.  Two boys and a girl (in fact, of those 5 who were pregnant at the same time, I was the only one who had a baby girl).  And today was one of those baby (or mommy) play dates.  And it's still just nice to sit and talk with women who are going through a lot of the same things as you.  You can discuss things like teething, sleeping, milestones, weight, doctor's appointments, etc. 

And it's so fun to see these adorable babies together -- especially now that they are actually aware of things!  Today my little girl was absolutely smitten with those two handsome boys who came over and "played."  She sat -- supported by her Boppy -- for two hours and just watched happily, occasionally reaching for toys.  She was seriously enthralled.  And even did a little bit of talking with them. 

It was just so cute.  And such a nice "mommy-break" where we could all visit and enjoy some adult conversation while the babies were happy. 

Yeah, these kinds of things just make my day.  And I'm grateful they can happen every now and again.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: