Sunday, November 24, 2013

Awesome Parents-in-Law

We spent the majority of today at my husband's parents' house.  And we got home way passed munchkin's bedtime.  And she had a rough time going down.  Which is rare for her.  Thus, this post is going to be brief (and it's also technically written on the 24th...).

I do have to say that, when it comes to parents-in-law, I feel like I hit the jackpot in so many ways. Because mine are awesome.

My mother-in-law is a strong woman with a ton of experience in things like sewing, gardening, living frugally, canning, and food storage (yeah, they kind of go hand-in-hand, but they don't necessarily have to...).  Seriously, she is an amazing woman.  She is so thoughtful, always making sure to send a card for special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries -- and she hand-makes each one!  She has a neat tradition for birthday cards for her grand-kids, and I have to admit, I'm pretty excited to start saving up our sweet girl's for her for when she's old enough to understand it.  I'm grateful to have this wonderful woman as an example and a source.

My father-in-law is reserved and observant.  And he is so wonderful with our baby girl.  I will never forget the way his face lit up when he walked into our hospital room to see his newest grand-daughter for the first time.  It melted my heart.  It is a joy to see him interact with her and I am so grateful we live close enough that this can happen often(ish).  I always enjoy sitting down to talk with my father-in-law and getting to know him more and more.  And I realize that he is very wise.

And these two wonderful people raised a really wonderful man:  my husband.  Actually, it can be argued (and will be) that they actually raised 5 wonderful men.  And they did.  They instilled in my husband the value of hard work.  They also instilled in him the value of a dollar and how important it is to be self-reliant.  And I am so grateful that they did.  What a blessing to know them; what a blessing to call the family.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: