Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Sense of Smell (and Taste!)

About once or twice a year, usually when the seasons change significantly, I come down with a mild cold.  Mostly it's just pesky.  And usually, for at least one day, I lose my sniffer.  And, sadly, my taster as well.

It's looking like I'm heading into that time period as I type.  Blah.

On the up-side, it did make me remember how grateful I am for my sense of smell.  Both for the fact that I can enjoy pleasant aromas and for the fact that I can taste deliciousness!

True, having a stuffed-up nose does make poopy-diaper changes a little less unpleasant.  And there are a few other instances when I wouldn't mind not being able to smell. 

But for the most part, I love that I can enjoy scents such as flowers, fresh-baked cookies, home-made bread baking, my baby's "baby smell," the smell of my husband's deodorant (which just makes me think of him!). 

I'm glad I can determine if I smell stinky and need a bath and deodorant ;)!

And I'm glad I can taste such wonderful things like fresh-baked cookies, home-made bread, mint hot chocolate, oranges, cheesy potato soup.... 

I don't know if there are some people who do not have the ability to smell and taste, if there are people born without the privilege.  But I do know I'm grateful that I can do both (on most days ;)).  Because what a wonderful world of smells and tastes I would miss out on, if it were not so!

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: