Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sweet Home Alabama

It's kind of funny:  I wasn't born in Alabama.  I didn't grow up in Alabama.  I spent 10 years of my life in Alabama, though.  And somehow, it has ended up feeling like home. 

Talk about eating some crow.  Because I never dreamed I would feel the way I feel. 

I loathe the heat.  And if you've never had the privelege of "enjoying" an Alabama summer, let me just tell you:  it's HOT.  (And I'm serious about my feelings about the heat.  My friend Julie just told me that it's the only time she's ever heard me whine and complain -- when I'm hot in the South... haha.  I should probably work on that...).  The weather in Fall is beyond beautiful.  Pretty much perfect.  Not a cloud in the sky, with chilly nights and mornings and warm days full of sunshine.  This has been a pretty perfect week, weatherwise. 

I'm not really a huge fan of cockroaches either.  Being that I've never seen one in Washington, I kind of forget they exist until someone mentions them when I'm back visiting...

(Basically what I'm saying here is that you should never look for sweltering weather or roaches on my gratitude list...).

And yet, despite those things, Alabama is what feels like home now.  It's where my heart yearns to return -- for good.  (Shocking, I know).

Maybe it's because I became an adult here. 

Or maybe it's because I matured into adulthood here.  I graduated high school here.  Graduated college here -- twice.  I learned how to be independent and support myself here.  I made friends who are near and dear to my heart here (in other places too, of course, but this bears mentioning).  I made great memories here.

And though my heart yearns to come home for good, I don't know that we ever will.  It may never be right for our family. 

Regardless, though, I'll always be grateful for sweet home Alabama.  And I'll always love coming home, even if only for a short time.

What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

Kira =] said...

I totally snorted when I read matured. I can't manage to be mature when we get together- not even during prayer. ;)