Friday, November 29, 2013

Vaccinations

So there are a few things in life I don't enjoy.

One of those things is shots.  You can ask my mom.  In my younger years, I was pretty much an embarrassment to her when I had to get shots or have blood drawn.  I'm not talking about when I was 4 or 5... I'm talking about when I was 12 and 13.  Let's just say there was a time that required me to be held down by a couple of large orderlies in order for them to draw my blood.  Not one of my prouder moments, but I seriously hated shots and blood draws.  I felt very strongly that, if I was meant to have needles stuck in my skin, I'd have been born with them there.

I've managed to get over those issues in my old age.

Another thing I really don't enjoy is hearing my baby girl cry in pain.  I can actually say I hate that.  It is heart-breaking.

So I didn't look forward to today and the 6-month check-up.  Because with it comes the vaccinations.  And though I really don't like shots (they don't feel good, after all); and I really hate to hear my baby cry in pain...  I believe that vaccinations are a blessing -- and are among the best things I can do for my baby girl whom I love so very much.

How grateful I am to live in a time -- and a place -- when things like tetanus and polio can be largely avoided because of medical advancements.  It is hard to realize that, even though we live such an abundant life, it isn't so for everyone, even in this day and time.  And I have to acknowledge how grateful I am for the fact that I have access to the vaccinations -- however unpleasant -- for myself and my baby girl.  And as I pondered that fact this morning while I gave thanks in prayer for the availability of them, I realize I want to do something to help people whose circumstances are different than my own.  I want to help some mother somewhere else be able to get what she needs to protect her baby.

Because even though it is awful to hold my baby's hands still and keep her secure on my lap while 3 needles are jabbed into her legs...  And even though it is heart-breaking to hear her cry in pain as a result...  I know it would be far more heart-breaking to lose her to a disease that was completely preventable.  And so I do it.  Because I love her. 

What are you grateful for today?
 I know not everyone shares my views on vaccinations.  I respect others' right to have their own opinion, but this is mine.

1 comment:

Kira =] said...

Amen. I hate needles, too! Three back to back pregnancies has certainly helped me better deal with my fear. I still can't watch.

I had to leave the room the first time because I was making her more upset. C turned out to be a just cry when it hurts child, so as soon as the needle was out she stopped unless I was already crying by then.