Thursday, November 21, 2013

Our Safe, Warm Shelter

It's cold outside.  Last night, it got down to freezing.  And I'm pretty sure it will get there again tonight. 

But I had no idea how cold it was last night, because I was safe and warm inside our apartment.  It wasn't until we went on an early afternoon walk (because it was beautiful outside -- and I had no idea the temperature!) that I realized just how cold it was!  Because it was still cold at 1:00 this afternoon. 

And when we walked back in the door after our 10 minute walk as a family...  Oh the warmth felt so amazingly good.  And I just knew that needed to be my "grateful" for today. 

Because it is such a blessing to have a safe place to live.  A place to shelter us from really cold nights and blustery winds.  A place we can work to make a sanctuary and a safe place spiritually and emotionally as well as temporally and physically.  A place to call our own -- a place to make our home. 

It's kind of funny.... I walk in and out of our apartment almost every day.  And it isn't often that I realize what a blessing it is that we have such a nice place to live.  But it's definitely a wonderful thing that we have a roof over our heads, walls to keep out the weather, and warmth to keep us... well, warm.

It makes my life happy and cozy and comfortable.  It makes my little girl's life safe.

And for those things, I am grateful.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: