Sunday, November 10, 2013

My Sunday School Class

Currently at church, I am serving as the Sunday School teacher for those who are 12 years old.  And I love it. 

I don't consider myself to be a good teacher.  But I am grateful for the opportunity to try to improve in my ability to teach.  And I so enjoy getting to know these kids as they are on the cusp of those longed-for teenage years.  (I've been there, done that, and I'm not sure why every kid wants to be a teenager (I did too, I remember) -- but it's pretty universal.  They can't wait to get to 13.)  But there is just something fun about these kids.  They know a lot.  They are so interactive.  But they aren't at the age where they think they know it all (yep, I've been there already too ;)).  They are willing to learn.  Willing to ask questions.  Willing to participate.

And okay, so I love to bake them goodies so they'll at least enjoy my class a little bit, since I'm definitely not the coolest of cool.  But they are really good kids, and I like to do nice things for them anyway.  So I'd probably bake them goodies and bring them treats anyway.  And I hope they will go away from my class having learned at least one thing. 

Today we talked about financial and temporal self-reliance.  And hopefully we discussed some things they can do in the future as adults.  And hopefully we talked about ways they can help their family even now to be more self-reliant (like acknowledging that maybe their parents don't have money to buy them an iPod, for example).  These are smart kids with great thoughts and ideas. 

And I really appreciate when they ask questions.  Because then I can learn too.  If I don't have an answer right away, I can come home and ponder it, study it, and return with a response for them. 

A few years back, I was teaching this same class (but with 13 year olds as well).  And at that time, it was definitely one of my favorite callings.  It was a great group of kids then, too (and they are all almost done with high school now... yikes!).  And sure, one of them told me I'm old because of all my gray hair (out of the mouths of pre-teen babes...).  But that same one told me, when I was being released to serve in a different capacity, that they didn't want me to leave because I was awesome -- and not just because I brought them candy.  Haha...  It was one of the moments that felt so rewarding. 

I just feel a genuine love for these kids.  They are fun and funny.  They are full of life and hope and they have their whole lives ahead of them.  I feel it is a privilege to have the opportunity to teach them.  And to be taught by them.  And for that, I feel humbled and grateful.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: