Saturday, November 2, 2013

"Panama Food" from Publix

I grew up in Panama.  That's a "grateful" for another day.  But some of the perks of that growing-up time were the various foods I got to enjoy :).  Unique things that are phenomenally tasty.  And, in case I haven't mentioned it before (but I'm pretty sure I have... and that I probably will again...):  I'm a foodie. 

I grew up eating things like arroz con pollo; empanaditas (and I really liked the cheese ones from the street vendor); raspados (okay, so this was just shaved ice, which wasn't exactly "ethnic" -- but we added leche (or sweetened condensed milk), and that seems to have made it unique, because when I tell people about it, they say "Really!?!"  And some people think it sounds disgusting.  But I think it's awesome that way.); san cocho; maracuya juice (which I believe is passion fruit juice); guandu (or pigeon peas); patacones (please correct me if I'm spelling that wrong); yucca frita...

The list could go on and on...  Deliciousness.

There are some things I've been able to have since moving away from Panama.  We make our version of arroz con pollo as well as some empanadas.  But there are many things I don't get to enjoy unless I go back to Panama.  Or so I thought!  It turns out, there are quite a few of the things I enjoy for sale in the U.S.  And apparently Publix (at least the one in Dothan) carries several of these things.  And fortunately for me, my dad is only too thrilled to keep these items in stock!

So since being here visiting my dad, we've enjoyed arroz con guandu; tejadas; patacones; yucca frita; and maracuya juice. 

And it makes me happy.  I may need to buy a few cans of the guandu and take them back with me, because I've yet to find them in the stores in Washington (and I've looked in some, but not all, so if you happen to know a place, clue me in!!)

Sure, it's not quite like the "real deal."  But it is a treat and something to remind me of my fabulous
childhood.  And something to share with my hubby, to give him an idea of the yumminess that I used to enjoy so easily :).  And which I took for granted, quite honestly.

If only I could find some authentic carne en palito...  (Yeah right.  My dad probably still wouldn't let me eat it!  He said it was monkey.  Hahaha.  And truthfully?  He may have been right.  But man oh man was it yummy (yes, I totally had some once at a football game)).

What are you grateful for today? 

No comments: