Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Ginormous Winter Squash Grown (and Given) by My In-Laws


I only wish I had thought to take a picture of the squash when it was all in one piece.  Because it was huge.  (This picture that shows the empty "shell" pieces isn't even showing all of them...).  Oh, and I guess I'm snooty, because I only took the majority of the orange for my use.  But my husband scooped out the rest -- green and all.  He'll be eating that over the next week, I'm sure...

There was a time in my life when I didn't like squash of any kind (well, okay... minus pumpkin.  Because I adore pumpkin pie).  But when I started growing zucchini and acorn squash in my own garden, I decided I wanted to eat what I grew.  And I have to say I rather like squash.  So it was a treat that my in-laws sent it home with my husband the other night when he went out for a brief visit.

We ended up roasting this entire winter squash, and I mashed most of it for use in pumpkin pie and winter squash rolls.  But I also pureed some of it with water and turned it into baby food!  Which is why it's in the ice tray.  We're freezing it so it keeps longer, and then we just take out one cube at a time!  It's pretty exciting to me -- but maybe I'm just a dork ;).  See, while in Alabama, I introduced our munchkin to squash.  And she loves it.  But I didn't see any at Wal-Mart the other day (it was probably there, but I've found having a baby along makes me take less time to look through everything if I don't spot it quickly), so I was sort of bummed.  Until I realized I could make my own!!  And she taste-tested some of the stuff I kept out of the ice tray for use immediately, and I'd say we have a winner! 

So the way I see it, this squash saved me some money on pumpkin pies, rolls, and baby food!  And made our little girl happy :).

And it gave us a little entertainment.  Because this thing was not going down without a fight.  As my husband was using one of our (what we thought was) sturdier knives, he had it plunged into the squash to almost the hilt.  And he was pushing it down to try to cut a slit.  And snap!  So much for that knife.  Seriously, it was crazy.  That's the other picture I wish I'd have taken:  The squash with 3/4 of a knife blade stuck in it and no handle...  He ended up taking it out on the porch and using a hatchet.  I suppose this is why my mother-in-law uses a meat cleaver when she cuts into hers...

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: