Sunday, November 3, 2013

Being Able to Attend Church Wherever I Go

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (also known as Mormons).  And I love that no matter where I am in the world, when Sunday rolls around, I can find a ward or branch (names for congregations) of my faith and worship there -- and it will be familiar.

Today I attended church in my old stomping grounds.  It just so happened to be Stake Conference, so it wasn't the typical Sunday meetings.  (A stake is a collection of Wards -- or congregations -- in a specific geographical location.  Twice a year, all the Wards meet together in one place -- which in this area happens to be the Dothan chapel -- and have a conference where we hear our local leaders speak).  But I love that I always know where I will be attending church, and that I always know it will feel like home. 

And though I'm miles away from where I call home right now, and though these speakers aren't technically my local leaders, the doctrine and things they were teaching are the same I would hear from my local Washington leaders, and they are applicable to me.  Because it is better to avoid temptation than to have to resist it.  And I want to create a home where there are fewer temptations to resist by avoiding them altogether.  Because I can be better about getting out of my comfort zone and sharing my testimony with others.  And I can certainly take to heart the need to be kind and to look outward and be welcoming, rather than having tunnel vision and focusing only on what I am doing.

To me, it is a great blessing to always know where I'll be on Sunday, whether I'm home or abroad.  It is a great blessing to know I'll be uplifted and feel the Spirit as I hear truth.  And for that, I am grateful.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: