Saturday, October 12, 2013

Family Gatherings

It's been a long day.  But it's been a great day :).  And it brings us the reason I'm grateful today!  Briefly.  Because I need to hit the hay. 

Every year, my father-in-law's side of the family gathers on the second Saturday of October.  This is my third year joining the fun, and I love it (my first year, I was the girlfriend; second year I was the pregnant wife (but nobody knew!); and this year we had the youngest member of the clan).  It sort of feels like the start of the holidays for me.  I spent all week (and maybe a few of the preceding ones...) looking forward to it :).  There is just something awesome about being surrounded by family -- those closer related and those more distantly so.  It is all kinds of fun to be in the midst of the five brothers and listening to them all joke and tease each other.  I love that our sweet girl is loved on by all her aunts and great-aunts and cousins.  I love making memories.  And let's not kid ourselves... I love the food too :)!!!  It's always plentiful.  And always yummy.  I'm grateful that so many of my husband's family members live close enough that so many of us can gather on these occasions.  (Christmas Eve is coming -- and that's when my mother-in-law's family gets together!).

I remember the family reunion we did for my mom's side of the family in 2008.  That was a great time.  The planning of it was fun.  The execution of it was fun :).  (We held it in a funeral home, so the word execution may be in slightly poor taste ;)...).  It was awesome seeing cousins I hadn't seen in years.  It was a special time.  And we made great memories.  I'm so glad we had the opportunity to do it, and that so many traveled so far to be here.  And while I am so grateful for my family members who live nearby, I do wish more of us were clumped together so we could do this more often (and at less expense!). 

So here's to next October...  When this group will gather once more :).  And make more memories!  (And eat more food ;)).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: