Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Why

So I’ve contemplated different starting points for this new blog, this project of mine.  Maybe the beginning of 2014.  Or my birthday.  But then I realized:  I should just start now!  Because every day that passes is another day I lose. 

So what’s this all about?  Well, I’ll tell you.

In recent weeks, I’ve felt stirrings in my heart as I’ve contemplated the blessings I have, the things for which I am grateful.  Some are big.  Some are quite little and seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes it’s a person, other times it’s a thing or a place or an event.  But they all serve to make life grand.  And even the smallest things that I so easily take for granted could possibly be a huge thing to someone else somewhere else.  And so I started thinking about writing a blog entry about some of those good things in life I tend not even to notice.  But little by little, I started thinking that I wanted to be consistent with this project.  I didn’t want to spend only one day recognizing the beauty and wonder in my life.  And then I realized that, if I chose to do this daily, and select one thing every day for which I am grateful, it would actually help me to accomplish something else I’ve wanted to do again:  write daily.  I love to write.  I love letting my feelings and thoughts spill out of my fingertips onto a keyboard, and, ultimately, onto a digital page.  In some ways, it’s been very therapeutic for me.  But I've let my writing slide in recent years, and I have been wanting to return to it. 

So I’d made up my mind to start this blog.  To document 365 days (or more) of the things that rock my world.  Things that make me glad I am alive.  Things that have blessed my life in one way or another.  And after listening to some of the talks at General Conference this weekend, I’ve decided there’s no need to delay.  I will start it now.  Because it’s always the right time to start recognizing and acknowledging the blessings of every day.  I am sure, as I do this, I will encounter days where I feel down and may struggle with finding something awesome to write about (not because they aren’t there, but because I will not want to acknowledge it in my gloom).  And there will be other days I encounter where those wonderful things will be so abundant and easy to spot, it’ll be hard to pick just one!  But in time, I think this will be a great thing to go back and read on the gloomy days.  It will also be great for me to require myself to find something good on those gloomy days.  Something for which to be grateful.  Because my Heavenly Father has been so good to me.  


And with that, I begin an acknowledgement of the things that rock the Nilla Life!  (Nilla is me, by the way ;)).

Oh, and p.s...  They aren't in any particular order :).

2 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

yay :)

Amalea Hendrickson said...

Love this! And love your Nilla name! Wanna help me think of a name for my blog if I ever get up the gumption to create one?