Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Hand-Me-Downs


While expecting our baby (our first), we decided not to find out gender and let it be a delivery room surprise.  (I'd always wanted to do it this way, and happily, my husband was in agreement!).  The responses I would get from people when we would tell them ranged from, "Oh how exciting!  Nobody does that anymore!" to "Ugh!  I can't stand the suspense!" to "Well how do I know what to get you for a gift!?!"  Haha....  And I guess, until I started going to baby showers for the other women who were pregnant at the same time (and who were all having boys), I didn't realize how many clothes one gets for Baby at the baby shower when gender is known.  And that is awesome, because you pretty much end up with a wardrobe for Baby, just from baby shower gifts!

But it turns out, ladies generally steer clear of clothes when they don't know if Baby will be a boy or a girl.  The result is that we got a ton of really awesome baby gear -- much of which I didn't even know existed prior to receiving them!  And we did get a few outfits here and there that were neutral.  And I'd bought a few neutral things in small sizes to help us get through the first little bit.  But we didn't have a ton of clothes to dress our little munchkin. 

Until she was born...  Once word spread that we'd had a little girl, we received so many offers of hand-me-downs!  And I just love them!  Above are just a couple of things I have separated out by size (some of my new projects these days as this girl is growing so fast!).  As a result, I think we're pretty set on being able to dress our sweet girl in the cutest of outfits for the first year of her life.  What a blessing!  (We also received several new outfits from people who waited until we had the baby, and we love those too!).  Babies grow so quickly, and they go through outfits pretty fast with the spit up, the rice cereal they are learning to eat, and the explosive poopies (is it sad that I've now talked about baby poop for my first two 'gratitude posts' so far?  It's just that we actually just had one of those, and so the incredibly cute hand-me-down outfit I had her in earlier is now hanging wet after being Drefted in preparation for next laundry day... :)), and it has been wonderful to have a wardrobe for her, courtesy of these wonderful women who so generously gave us so much.  And one day, when we know we're 'done' having babies, I plan to do the same.  Because I know how grateful I have been for the kindness of these women, and I hope to be able to bless someone else's life in that way.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: