Sunday, October 20, 2013

Freedom of Religion

Sunday.  Almost every Sunday for as long as I can remember, I have attended church.  And it has always been the church of my (or my parent's) choice.  And the truth is this:  I have taken that for granted -- the ability to attend church wherever I want to.  The ability to worship however I desire.

And if I'm being completely honest,sometimes I am guilty of feeling like Sundays are just a big hassle.  Afternoon church means a grumpy baby who misses naps.  Church sometimes means rushing to make sure we're ready on time. 

And I completely ignore the fact that just being able to go to church is a blessing, a privelege.  A thing not everyone gets to enjoy.  Something that others might wish they had the freedom to do.  And I realize that I am blessed to live in a country -- to have always lived in a country -- where I can worship according to my heart's desire.  Publicly.  Without fear of government punishment.  And then I realize I have never really appreciated this privilege at all.  Because it's always been there. 

Hopefully I am learning to be more grateful for the things I've always had and for which I've never had to yearn.  And hopefully I will remember to teach my children that freedom of religion is a blessing -- a thing to cherish and recognize.  Hopefully they will learn early what it has taken me all my life to learn.

One of the things we believe in my faith is this:  "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." (Article of Faith 11) (emphasis mine).

How grateful I am that we can make such a statement, because we live in a land that allows it.  How grateful I am that I can live it.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: