Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Angel B

Today the munchkin and I had errands to run in the next city over -- the one where I used to work.

It feels funny to talk about it like it's some huge distance -- which would probably be true in South, because things are a little more sprawled out.  But it's really only 15 minutes down the road.

Nonetheless, now that I don't work there anymore, we don't go there frequently.  Maybe once a month at most (and that's mostly when I have lunch plans with former co-workers).  One nice thing about this town is that it has a SUPER Wal-Mart.  The one in my town isn't super.

The even better thing is that today I was able to meet up with my friend Angel for lunch.  It was awesome because

a.) Angel is awesome and I love hanging out and catching-up in person (and not just through texts)
b.) We went to A&W where I had a 99 cent rootbeer float (love) with my crispy onion cheddar burger and fries.  It's the only A&W restaurant I've ever even seen, and I think it's a pretty cool place.  And the staff is always so friendly. 

Anyway, I met Angel while working for the County Commissioners.  She was working in Administrative Services doing fiscal stuff.  She was always super friendly to me -- but that's just because she is super friendly.

But then I got the opportunity to really get to know Angel, because I was asked to take on some fiscal responsibilities while Angel started filling in for someone who was going to be out on maternity leave.  I was thrilled for the opportunity to learn something new -- and I really enjoyed doing it.  It was fun!  And that's probably partly because I had an amazing trainer:  Angel.

Angel is unbelievably patient.  She would sit with me and help me through a whole ton of payment vouchers.  No matter how many times I had questions, she was always willing to answer them, and she was never annoyed (even if she'd answered the question a million times for me already).  And she never made me feel stupid for not understanding something right away -- or even after 10 times.  Quite the opposite, she always encouraged and complimented me when I was successful.  I think she is a born teacher, because not everyone has that capability.

She is very smart and capable.  Our boss said that about her often.  And it is true.  In the time we worked together, I experienced many times when people from other departments would call her for guidance and help.  And I think she trained a lot of the new people hired to do fiscal stuff in those other departments.  She just had a huge knowledge-base.

She is another of those incredibly giving people.  She gives so much to others and, I think, never wants to say no when asked to do something.  She helps wherever there is a need.  Which is why she was always asked to train people.

And, she is an Excel genius.  (Anyone who understand that program and can navigate it is phenomenal in my book!).

Something else I'll never forget about her was how positive she was all the time.  And I admire that about people.  She is a strong woman with a great outlook.  I appreciated her happy perspective and laughter when we'd sit talking while working on vouchers.

I am sad that I don't work with Angel anymore.  But I'm so glad I met her and was taught by her.  She helped me broaden my horizons and acquire new skills -- skills that I actually enjoyed!  I appreciate what she taught me while we worked together; not just the skills of fiscal work, but also in her example of patience while teaching.  And I appreciate that we created a friendship that has endured

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: