Monday, February 10, 2014

Penny S

Today I had the opportunity to do lunch with my friend Penny for a very belated birthday gift.

It had been a while since we'd hung out.  And it was such a treat!

For one thing, we went to the place she introduced me to -- and they have some really great burgers!  (I got the Mushroom Swiss burger, because I love mushrooms).

But mostly, it's because Penny is just super awesome.  She's fun to talk with, and she is full of energy and laughter.  Just a feel-good person to be around.

I met Penny through church.  I'd known her family for several years and knew of her.  And then, she moved back into our Ward boundaries -- and I started seeing her everywhere.  I'd see her at Costco, or in the ladies room at church (which isn't that shocking, except at the time, I was working with the kids, so we rarely ran into many people while we were down there).  It was weird to me how often I'd see her and she just stuck out to me, though we'd never spoken.

But then I found out why.  Shortly after she moved into the Ward, our Ward boundaries changed and a lot of callings changed.  (This is probably confusing sounding, but basically, we believe we are called of the Lord to serve in various capacities -- such as Sunday School teacher, nursery worker, etc -- for an unspecified time.  When our Ward boundaries changed, that meant some people who had been attending church with our congregation would begin attending with a different congregation, thereby leaving various positions to be filled.)  At that time, I was called to serve as Primary President (a leader over all the children ages 18 months to 12 years).  And I was to prayerfully call two counselors to serve with me and help me.  Immediately I knew that Heavenly Father had put Penny in my path many times specifically so I would know she was to be one of my counselors.

And what an awesome counselor she was!  She is reliable, dependable, helpful, energetic, loving of the children, generous... 

In a word... amazing.  She was seriously my right hand.

I was released from that calling shortly before having our baby girl.  And, not surprisingly, Penny was called to serve in that capacity -- and is still doing so.  And I know the kids love her.

Penny is a great example to me of generosity.  She gives so much of herself, her time, her talents.  She seeks to help and lift others; to serve them.  She goes to great lengths to do the things people ask of her.  I don't know how she finds the time (or energy!) to do all she does.  But she consistently amazes me.  She is selfless.

And I am better for knowing her. 

I am so grateful I can call her my friend.  And I'm grateful that, even though she is so busy, we still manage to fit in a visit here and there.  Because those opportunities just make my day!

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: