Saturday, February 15, 2014

Rain

I have never lived where rain is a scarcity. 

I especially don't live in such a place now

Generally, I am grateful for rain.  And so I will decide to be grateful for it today, even though it annoyed me a bit today (because I wanted to walk down with my little family and check out a house that seems worth looking at...  But since it drizzled all day...  Grrr).

But generally, I am grateful for rain.  Even when it annoys me.

I am grateful for the free watering rain gives my garden in the summertime.  Those are the days I hope for rain the most.  Because, even in Western Washington, rain in the summer isn't as prevalent.  And I do love a good harvest!  So rain makes that possible by watering my vegetable plants.  Plus it saves me a lot of time and effort :).  Lazy.

I am grateful for the fact that rain = green.  Oh my goodness, I love the green.  Thank goodness this part of Washington is evergreen.  I have also never lived in a place without beautiful greenery for at least the majority of the year.  But I have driven through places that seem pretty gray and dull in the middle of summer.  And I just don't think I can live there

I am grateful that rain provides water for uses such as drinking, bathing, and cooking.  Because we all know the water cycle...  And without that rain, our aquifers would be pretty pathetic. 

I do have to say I prefer the pounding hard storms of Panama and Alabama that would come on suddenly (every afternoon at about the same time) and last about 30 minutes -- then be gone until the next day.  I'm not as fond of the Washington drizzle, because it kind of lasts all day long

But I am grateful that the drizzle keeps the temperatures more moderate -- not as hot in the summer and not as cold (generally) in the winter.

And I'm grateful that rainy weather makes me feel like cuddling up with a good book.  And since the baby is down for the night, maybe I'll do just that.  (Well, okay, so I'll be curling up with a mediocre book, since that's what I'm reading right now...).

What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love the rain (sung to Shorty & Slim)! Have you read The Rent Collector? I'm in the middle of it now & find it fascinating.