Thursday, February 13, 2014

Growing Pains (the 80s Show)


I cross-stitch.

And when I cross-stitch (which is usually during baby naptime and at night), I just generally like having something on the TV.

And today, that's where Growing Pains came to the rescue.

A couple of weeks before the hubby and I got married, I bought the first two seasons of Growing Pains on DVD.  At the time, it was all that was available on DVD, though I noticed today (while ordering some stuff from Amazon) that apparently season 3 is now available...  Hmmm...  That may have to find its way into my cart some day soon...

I LOVE this show.

For one thing, it is totally 80s.  A decade I love like no other. 

For another thing, it stars the dreamy Kirk Cameron.  Only every 80s-girl's teen heart-throb.  (Seriously, I was in love with Kirk back in the day...  But wasn't everyone?).  I am positive I had at least one poster of him from Teen Beat magazine or whatever was cool then.  My parents never bought those magazines for me, but I had some very generous friends who shared their good fortune...

For a third, it has the most awesome theme song (and intro, for that matter)... in the history of ever. (Click there to hear it)

And, I don't know, it's just a feel-good family-oriented show.  And I love that.  Even now. 

I even love the name of the show, now that I understand it.  Because sometimes, as you learn in the show (and real life...), growth is painful.

So, as I sat there, cross-stitching and watching some of the final episodes of season 2, I couldn't help but get all nostalgic.  I do that sometimes.  And I laughed at some of the corniness of the show.  I actually contemplated the fact that I will one day find myself in the position Jason and Maggie Seaver found themselves in in one of the episodes...  And I just enjoyed the innocence of a show where a baby is born on an airplane with the help of a psychiatrist who miraculously has no mess anywhere, including his hands.  Because, yeah, I know that's not real life.  But it is happy when everything wraps up in a nice, neat little package.  And Growing Pains was generally that kind of show. 

And I love it.  Now...  To get that Season 3.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: