Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Uncooked" (or No Bake) Cookies


These were my favorite cookies growing up.  Oh my heck.  They still rank pretty near the top (and as I pondered the matter in the shower, I couldn't really think of a cookie I preferred to these, just a bunch that I would enjoy equally).

The truth is, they may just be the best cookie in the history of ever.  (I know I say that a lot and I totally stole it from Hostess, but it's an awesome phrase, and I believe in borrowing and spreading awesomeness ;)).

Not only are these cookies completely and utterly delicious (and possibly a tad addicting), they are also super easy and quick to make!  I pretty much always have the ingredients on hand, so they are my go-to recipe if I need something fast. 

And, they are gluten-free.  Bonus for if you're trying to make a treat for someone avoiding gluten.

Plus, they have another added bonus:  lots of happy memories come with them :).

I'm pretty sure every person on this planet has a recipe for these, but regardless, I'll include mine.  I have a few different ones, but the ones pictured (and the ones I like best) are the super-fatty-sugary ones.  I've tried to make the "healthier" versions (and trust me, I'm using that term lightly), but I always come back to this one.  Which my mom made my whole growing up life, and which I now make -- and plan to make for my kids.  According to my mom, this was her grandmother's recipe.  And we always called them uncooked cookies as opposed to no-bake.  But it's all the same deliciousness, no matter what they're called :)!

Basically, these cookies have been rockin' the Nilla Life for many years.  And still are.  And will be for many years to come!

Uncooked Cookies
1 stick butter (or margarine)
3 cups sugar
dash salt
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oats (quick cooking or old fashioned... I prefer old fashioned)

In a saucepan over medium heat, mix first five ingredients.  Bring to a boil and boil one full minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add peanut butter, stirring until dissolved (I usually turn off the burner, but keep the pot on the burner while melting the peanut butter, because it takes forever for the peanut butter to melt).  Once peanut butter is dissolved, quickly stir in oats until just mixed in.  Quickly drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.  Let cool.

I think I need one of these for dessert now.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: