Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pancake Mix... And Sunday Traditions


Shortly after we got married, my sweetie and I started a Sunday tradition:  making pancakes for breakfast. 

Usually it was around brunch time.

But still...  It's breakfast.

Back then, we weren't members of Costco.  So I usually had the off-brand pancake mix stuff.  And we had a box of Bisquik someone gave us as part of a "breakfast in bed" wedding gift. 

Now we buy in bulk!  And we always have a bag of this buttermilk pancake mix in the pantry (and usually an extra one under the bed...  We don't want to run out!).  I love that all we have to do is add water.  Especially because I'm a little weird and like to lick out the batter bowl. 

It's become a fun tradition for us:  to wake up most Sundays and make pancakes.  Today, my pancakes were shaped like hearts, since my sweetie did the pancake-making.  And he actually didn't put a secret ingredient in!  (These have ranged from cinnamon to cloves to white chocolate chips to some really weird add-ins like paprika and cream of tartar and ginger).  Sometimes he drives me crazy with his experimentations...  But even that is fun, because he always makes me guess what the secret ingredient is.  And I'm not very good at it ;).

I look forward to the years ahead when our kid(s) are big enough to eat pancakes with us.  They'll love getting a heart-shaped pancake every now and then.  And they'll probably think having paprika in their pancakes is the bees knees.  And it'll just be fun for me to have a tradition we created.

And we'll always appreciate the ease of "just add water" pancake mix from Costco :).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: