Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sue C

Most Tuesdays (assuming Baby Girl is not sick), I walk with Sue in the evenings.  Even when it's freezing out and it starts snowing (like it did tonight).  Fortunately, my husband is back on day shift, so I left the munchkin with him... It was way too cold for her.  Otherwise I take her, because she enjoys outings.  In fact, often, when Sue calls to see about walking, she asks if the baby wants to walk today.  As though it's all up to her!  (And, okay, maybe it is!)

Anyway, Sue is awesome.  I met her while I was working at a local funeral home.  She has a great laugh and the best sense of humor!  I love walking with her, because we just gab about all sorts of stuff and she hoots and laughs a lot.  And I do too!  Today what got her going was the story about the munchkin managing to eat (and destroy) one of my plants.  I don't have many plants, as I don't do well with taking care of them, generally.  But I was trying to keep this one alive.  Alas...  A crawling baby can do much damage in mere seconds.  Thankfully this plant was not poisonous.  It's also no longer alive, having been ripped out of its dirt by some grabby hands.  So as I told Sue all about this, she laughed and laughed and laughed. 

I walked with Sue once a week even when I was 36 weeks pregnant.  I think it was starting to make her a little nervous... the possibility I might go into labor.  She told my mom to keep her cell phone on her at all times on Tuesday evenings, because if I went into labor, Sue would be calling my mom to come pick us up! 

Ironically, Baby Girl was born on Sue's birthday!  Which is exactly what Sue (and another friend of ours, whose birthday is also that day) predicted!  We didn't name her Pamela Sue after these two awesome ladies...  But even so, the munchkin gets to share their birthday :).

She's patient and kind and, I think, a great example of living what she believes:  she strives to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. 

She's also incredibly thoughtful.  This past Christmas, she went to several stores trying to find little baby mittens for our sweetness so she would have mittens for our cold-weather walks.  And they are the cutest!!


I think one of my most favorite memories about Sue is from my days working at the funeral home.  So, there was this funeral home cat named Callie.  She was a gorgeous long-haired Calico.  And she was snarky.  Snarky.  She'd chill and sleep at the top of the stairs in the funeral home (until a stranger walked in and then she'd bolt).  She knew staff going up and down the stairs couldn't not pet her there.  And while she enjoyed the love immensely, she was sometimes moody.  You could be there petting her and she'd be purring away when all of a sudden -- wham! -- she'd claw you like there was no tomorrow.  Crazy cat. 

But that's not the hilarious Sue story...  This is:

Sue was Callie's stylist.  I kid not.  Every day at about 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Callie would mosey on down the stairs and go right to Sue's work space.  Where Sue would spend about 5 minutes brushing that cat until she shone.  It was awesome.  Every single day.  No joke.

Oh, and the other one...  We had a co-worker who ate that Activia yogurt every day.  All the commercials talk about how good it is for a woman's digestive system (or at least they did back then).  Well, this co-worker was a man.  So Sue started telling him that he was eating women's yogurt.  (She liked to give him a hard time anyway, so this was nothing new.  But hilarious nonetheless).  He was adamant that it wasn't just for women, but Sue kept saying it was and pointed out how the commercials never showed men eating it.  Well, this got his goat enough that he actually called Activia to ask them if their yogurt was intended only for women, or if men could eat it as well.  Shortly thereafter, the commercials started saying it wasn't just for women.  I'm not saying there was a connection between the two...  But it is a pretty funny coincidence

Anyway, I have a ton of great and hilarious memories with Sue.  I'm glad we still live close enough to each other that we can still enjoy walking together every week.  She makes walking quite a bit of fun. 

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: