Friday, May 9, 2014

The Consulting Nurse

My baby has had a nasty cough all this week.  Mostly at night.  It is the first time she's ever had a cough that interrupted her sleep. 

I am still amazed at how happy and tolerant she is, even when she isn't getting great sleep, though.

But still.  Major lameness that she has had that cough.  I wanted to give it a few days and see if it would get better.  I mean, she did have that mild fever Saturday night.  And she did have the fun snotty nose all week, indicating a cold.  So I figured this was a cold that settled in her chest and she'd get over the cough like she has in the past.

But 5 days is a little long.  So today, at the suggestion of my mom, I called the consulting nurse.  Based on my description, she said Baby Girl may be at the tail end of a bug; so she gave me some advice and told me to call her on Monday whether it got better or didn't.  If it doesn't, then we'll be going in.

And I just have to say, I'm grateful for the service of a consulting nurse.  I'm sure it's beneficial for those employed in the medical field as well:  not everyone is going to just come in when they can call someone first and get advice and see if a trip to the doc is necessary.  But it's definitely beneficial to me, too.  Because when I feel concerned, I can call and ask. 

This isn't the first time I've called the consulting nurse.  I've called a couple times in the past for myself -- once right after we got home from the hospital (wanted to know if something in the medications I was taking would affect the baby due to nursing) and once a couple years ago when I was worried about a lack of pregnancy symptoms. 

And though I think they are often set on putting your mind at ease, I do believe they also listen out for cues.  That way, if it's serious, we go in. 

So yeah, today I'm grateful for a phone number I can call -- anytime -- when I have a concern or question for a medical professional.  I'm grateful it's a service provided.  And I'm grateful she helped me today so I can help my sweet girl.  Who is taking a marathon nap at the moment, I might add.  And I haven't heard any coughs this whole nap!  So here's to hoping we're on the mend and tonight will be a better sleep!

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: