Thursday, May 15, 2014

Farmer's Markets

So this afternoon, my munchkin and I met up with my friend Amalea for an afternoon walk at one of the beautiful city parks nearby.

Upon pulling into the parking lot, I was quite shocked to see so many vehicles.  Until I realized the Farmer's Market was set up there.

And it was quite a pleasant surprise.  So for part of our walk, we wandered around the little Farmer's Market to see what there was to see.  I love stuff like this.  If I had a million dollars...  Well, let's just say I'd have bought a lot of stuff.  Like raw local honey (to hopefully stave off allergies).  And some sourdough bread that looked absolutely beautiful. 

Instead, I brought home a pint of Viking ice cream.  No, the irony wasn't lost on us that we were walking -- and then each of us bought a pint of ice cream.  But this stuff is really good home-made ice cream.  From milk that apparently comes from these people's cows.  It's rich and cream (the ice cream).  I got the dark elf -- which is dark chocolate.  If only April was here... I'd buy her some.  I just don't think it'd ship to Alabama very well.

I like seeing the things local people make -- or grow or harvest -- and try to sell.  It's awesome.  I remember there was a Farmer's Market once on the UA campus.  I went to it and bought some jalapeno pepper jelly. 

True, the prices are a little higher.  But it's local.  And I do like the idea of supporting local businesses.  And sometimes, you just get way better quality like this anyway.  Like that ice cream

Oh my...  What a treat.  Maybe I'll have to go back next week... and the next week... and the next. 

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: