Sunday, May 18, 2014

Tammy R

Once upon a time, in a place called Alabama, I had a blog-stalker named Tammy.  And her daughter, my dear friend Stacy, ratted her out ;).  And so I called her out on my blog.

And thus began one of my most treasured friendships.

Now, I knew of Tammy before this.  I mean, I'd known her daughter for several years, and the nature of the South is that you know a little about a lot.  (And sometimes a lot about a lot too.)  And I'm pretty sure I went to a Stake Young Women leader event at some point in which she was present -- and, I believe, responsible for the key lime pie Blue Bell ice cream being at said event -- and therefore responsible for at least a few of the grams of fat I enjoyed over the next couple years I was still in the South.  But up until my days in Tuscaloosa, I'd never really talked with her or had the opportunity to get to know her.

But then she blog-stalked me.  And I found out.  And I teasingly ratted her out.  And she got my email address from Stacy.  And we became email pen pals.

And for someone who loves to write...  Well, our marathon emails back and forth were something I looked forward to every day.

And a friendship formed.  And blossomed.  And remains, even after all these years and all these miles.

So the first time I actually hung out with Tammy was sometime in May 2008.  She drove to Montgomery from Dothan(ish) and I drove to Montgomery from Tuscaloosa.  And we just hung out and enjoyed some Olive Garden and window shopping and some dessert at Panera Bread.  We talked and chatted and laughed and told stories.  And it was a thoroughly enjoyable day. 

And from the then on, the memories just kept a-comin'!  Because she was there at Ruby Tuesday's the night the waiter thought she and Stacy and I were a little odd.  And she was there beside me and Stacy as we endured (through possibly bleeding eardrums) the Scuttle-like singing abilities of good ol' Pierce.  And she knows that some song lyrics just get stuck in your head (Sup-pa-pa troop-pa-pa).  She knows her daughter can never be surprised by someone flying in from Washington State for a Twilight party (because her daughter will dream about that very thing happening).  And she knows that some people are crazy enough to drive to Forks and La Push to send authentic Forks dirt and La Push sand back to Alabama for said Twilight-themed parties.  She also shares in the knowledge of what it feels like to be looked at strangely when you walk into Winn-Dixie in pajamas...

And over the years, she has been one of the best, most compassionate listening ears I've ever spoken with.  She is wise.  And faithful.  And brave.  And courageous.  So many things I admire.  She is loved by so many.  Including me.  And I'm grateful she blog-stalked me all those years ago.  Because otherwise, I'd have missed out on a beautiful friendship.

What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

the happy thomas family said...

oh that night. ruby's, pierce, and peanut m&ms. ;)