Monday, May 12, 2014

Others Who Have Mothered Me

It occurs to me that I probably should have done all my mother posts last week...  But oh well.  Now is as good a time as any :).

I have a wonderful mother.  She has always been so good to me.  And I feel so blessed.

But there have been times in my life when I went through rebellious years.  Like my teenage years.  And during those times, when I didn't want to deal with my parents... I'm grateful there were good women to whom I was willing to go to talk to.  I had some amazing young women leaders.  They were great examples to me.  And they were willing to listen and be my friends.  But they were also sure to give good advice to try to help me stay on the right path in life.  And in that way, they mothered me. 

I have known amazing women who have taught me skills.  Like Donna, who taught me a lot about quilting.  And I'm using that knowledge now as I work on I Spy quilts.  And other women who have taken time to show me how to crochet and knit (even though I haven't kept up with either as I should have and will likely need to learn again...). 

There have been special women who have taken me under their wing and loved me.  Like Annie, who became my friend in Tuscaloosa and took me along with her to events at the University so I wouldn't have to either go alone, or not go at all (which is what I would have done if my only other option was go alone).  Like Virginia who listened to me as I had meltdowns about my thinning hair and found ways to lift my spirits.  Like Donna who, when I was ready to interview for jobs away from Dothan, gave me money to buy an interview suit -- and then gave me a piece of Polish Pottery to always remember her.  Or Tammy who has always been a listening ear, and who gives the greatest, sweetest, most encouraging insights and advice.  These women are among my dearest friends, but in these ways, they mothered me.

There are so many, the list would go on and on.  Mother-in-law, grandmothers, grandmothers-in-law, aunts, cousins, friends...  So many women have impacted my life for good.  And so many of them, in a small way, have mothered me -- helped me grow and become the woman I am today.  And for them, I am grateful.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: