Saturday, May 10, 2014

Christina S

Since we just had a brunch to appreciate this wonderful woman I am blessed to call my friend, I think I will be grateful for her today :).

She is expecting Baby #4.  And since they don't need all that much, but some of us still wanted to do something special for her, we decided to do an Appreciate Christina day.  So we had a brunch and time to just sit and gab with ladies.  And thankfully I have friends who are way smarter and more clever and creative than I.  And Tawni (hereafter known as Tawni the magnificent ;)) had the idea to have everyone write something we appreciate about Christina.

And for me, there's a lot to appreciate about Christina. 

For one thing, I admire a lot of the ways she handles parenting.  I can remember sitting at her house during presidency meetings for Primary, and one of her kids would come over to her for one reason or another.  Sometimes they were arguing over a toy.  I observed her tell the child who had the toy he could play with it for 10 minutes and then it was the other boy's turn.  And she would set a timer.  The ensured that they both got to play with whatever the item was.  And it amazed me, because that was a solution acceptable to both boys.  Another time, I remember being impressed with how she would always remember to say please when requesting that her kids do something.  "Please give the toy to your brother now."  It really stuck with me.  And I also noticed that she often gave her children choices.  True, there was always one choice that was preferable, but the child still had a choice.  Such as:  you can choose to eat more of your soup and have dessert later or you can choose not to eat more soup and not get dessert.  It seems simple, sure.  But she made it clear to them that they were making the choice and choosing the consequence as well.  And it has stuck with me.

For another thing, she is a great example of a leader.  In 2011, I was called to serve with her as one of her counselors in the Primary presidency.  While I had known her before -- we were visiting teaching companions at one point -- up until the time I served with her, she was just someone I was probably more in awe of and intimidated by than anything.  I mean...  She just seemed to have it all together (and frankly, she still does).  But working so closely with her gave me the opportunity to really know her.  And for us to become friends.  I enjoyed working with her so much for those almost-two years that we served together in Primary.  And I learned so much from her.  Like the importance of delegation.  And not just delegating, but also being willing to let go once you've delegated (and not micro-manage).  I had the opportunity and privilege to be a part of a presidency that was close-knit and united.  To see how smoothly we could all work together.  And I think that will stay with me for the rest of my life.  And we all became friends as we worked together.  It was a beautiful thing.  And, for a while, it was hard (at least for me) to adjust to us not working together once we were called to serve in other capacities.  And so I cherish those times when all four of us are together again, like we had the opportunity to be today :).

And Christina is just a sweet person and a great friend.  I am grateful to know her.  Grateful to have worked with her and served with her.  She is another of the greatest blessings of the Nilla Life.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: