Friday, July 4, 2014

Liberty

It was probably easy to guess that I would be grateful for liberty -- freedom -- today.  But it's a beautiful thing.  An important thing.  One I've never had to do without.  And for that, I am grateful.

I don't claim to be a history buff.  But I have watched (multiple times, as I love it) the musical 1776.  I'll be borrowing it from my mom tomorrow to watch it -- as per my annual tradition.  (Eventually I'll buy a copy for myself so I can watch it on Independence Day...)  I know some of the movie may not be entirely accurate (except all those guys singing in the Continental Congress... I'm absolutely positive that really happened ;)).  But I feel like a lot of it probably is.  Like the description of the "soldiers" fighting under the direction of General George Washington.  They were a rag-tag band of young men -- many of them merely boys -- who fought against the world's greatest military force (at the time).  The odds were against them.  And though the words had not yet been penned, surely they felt in their hearts the words of The Star Spangled Banner that "conquer [they] must, [for their] cause it [was] just."  And though the odds were against them, I truly believe the Lord was with them.  This "heav'n rescued land" was "preserved and made [a] nation" by Him.  He intended it to be a blessed land -- a land of liberty.  And He helped those fighting for that cause to succeed.  I believe in a God who desires that all men be free.

I think it is miraculous.  And a great blessing.

I will admit to not realizing as much as I should, possibly, that it truly is a blessing to live in this land of liberty.  This land where I have the right to choose so many things.  And the freedom to enjoy them.  I take for granted that others are not afforded that same opportunity. 

I will never forget the moment it really hit me that that is true.  I was sitting in church, listening to a talk by the man who is currently called to serve as the Bishop of our congregation.  He wasn't our Bishop at the time.  But I'll never forget part of what his message was (though some of the details may be inaccurate).  He spoke of an opportunity he had to live abroad for a short time while in school.  I think he went to China on this particular occasion.  During a meal-time, the students would sit together and visit and talk.  And a young Chinese woman asked him some questions about his family.  Asked him if he had siblings.  As they spoke, it came out that she was an only child, and I guess she longed to know what it was like to have siblings.  She was an only child, not by the choice of her parents, but by the law of the land.  Her parents were denied the blessing of other children.  She was denied the blessing of siblings.  As their conversation continued, I guess they discussed some of the things he enjoyed doing back home (in the States).  He talked of mountain climbing (I think it was) and how he and some friends had decided one time to go a few cities over and climb this mountain on the spur of the moment.  Listening to this story, the woman was shocked.  Shocked that he could pick up and leave the city in which he was living at the drop of a hat to go climb a mountain in another city.  She told him that, if she wanted to leave her city, she had to apply well in advance for permission to travel to another city. 

Like I said, my memory of the stories details may be a little hazy, but I'll never forget the realization that hit me as I listened to him that day:  I am blessed to live in a free land. 

I am so grateful that I do.  I am so grateful that I've always been free.  Free to choose my faith, my job, the number of children I want to have.  Free to share my opinions, to travel across the entire country in a plane in one day, if I so desire -- without having to ask anyone (I've done it).  I am grateful for those young men who fought to make this nation free.  And I'm grateful for those who still do.

I am also grateful to my Heavenly Father that He also gives me liberty.  Agency.  The freedom and right to choose for myself.

I am blessed.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: