Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Heat

Well, since I spend so much time complaining about the heat (every year)...  I decided to acknowledge the good points about it -- and be grateful for them -- and (to a lesser degree) for the heat itself as a result.

Because there are good things about it warming up every year. 

First of all, my garden loves the heat.  And I love the harvest.  And my harvest wouldn't be nearly as good if it weren't for the heat.  Squash plants, tomatoes, peppers...  They all want it hot hot hot.  (Even if I don't ;)).  So, when it's hot as blazes out...  Well, my garden is just soaking it up.  And pumping out the good stuff that makes the fruits and veggies grow grow grow. 

Another plus is that we no longer need to run the heaters.  The heaters (our apartment is all electric) really really jump up our electric bill.  We got our most recent bill, and let's just say it was phenomenal the difference between when we run the heaters (at all) and when we don't.

And in other news about saving money...  My clothes hang out on the line -- even under a covered porch -- and dry.  For free.  Not too shabby, if you ask me.

I'm probably never going to yearn for the heat of summer.  It's just not Nilla-like.  But it's bound to come every year.  And I do think there are good things to almost every situation (if not every one).  And so I figure I might as well make the effort to focus on those :).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: