Thursday, July 24, 2014

Monica W

I've been thinking for quite some time that I need to do a "grateful for Monica" post.  And so I decided today is the day!

Monica is one of my awesome sisters-in-law.  One I married into :).  And she is amazing.  She reminds me a lot of my mom because of her personality.  And that is a good thing.  I think my mom is amazing in so many ways, and I want to be more like my mom:  more patient, compassionate, forgiving, laid-back...  I see those same qualities in Monica.

She doesn't know this, but I actually have written in my journal (from 2011) just how grateful I was for her back then.  I went to a family gathering that Fall for the first time (I wasn't officially part of the family yet at that point), and she made sure I stuck with her and she introduced me to everyone while our husbands (well, mine was a boyfriend back then) were off playing with the apple cider press.  I appreciated that more than she can possibly know... I was the "new" person and felt incredibly self-conscious.  She put me at ease and stuck by me.  Not that others weren't there to talk to too...  But family gatherings have lots of visiting going on -- and sometimes a lot of chaos with the little munchkins running around.  So I was just grateful that Monica was pretty much always by my side whenever my sweetie wasn't.

I've appreciated Monica for her listening ear and her compassion and understanding with me when I've gone through tough times. 

I've appreciated her sacrifices on my (and our) behalf -- like driving 2 hours to attend a baby shower at night, knowing she wouldn't get home until late.  And like fixing up the RV thingamabob that we always sleep in when we go to visit -- making sure all the sheets are clean and the bed is made, etc.  And insisting that we not worry about stripping it all when we leave.

And how she always welcomes us when we do come visit.  With open arms and lots of excitement. 

I appreciate deeply the way she loves my little girl. 

And I appreciate that she knows how to make some yummy good food. :).

And I appreciate how thoughtful she is.  For Christmas, she ordered me a book (or maybe it's for the munchkin) full of pictures of our little girl each month and the letter I wrote for my baby girl each month (and posted on another blog).  It was a complete surprise -- and what a treasure it is!  

There's a lot to love and appreciate about Monica...  And I definitely consider it a blessing that I married into a family with someone as awesome as she is :). 

What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Hila you sure have a way with words. I have always enjoyed reading whatever you have written, but today you have brought me to tears. (happy tears) I treasure our relationship as well, and am grateful that Jeremy has brought you into our lives. I look forward to making many more memories with you, and I feel honored that you would say I remind you of your mom. I know how much you love your mom. I love you and your family as well. I am thankful to have you so receptive to me.