Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Melanie R. (and Bob Too!)


Ridiculous sideways picture...  But whatever.  It still makes me do the happy dance.

So what does that have to do with Melanie and Bob?  Well, they have loaned us their portable a/c for the summer (they are some happy campers with a new heat pump, so this was just hanging around and she offered to let us use it...  And how can a Nilla resist?).

The truth is, there are a lot of reasons I am grateful for Bob and Melanie.  And today, I added two new ones to the list:  the air conditioner -- which will keep me smiling big all summer; and a now-long-arm-quilted quilt.  Melanie knows a lady who is very reasonable in price (like I was beyond shocked at the cost -- in a really good way).  And does amazing work.  And Melanie got me the hook up.  And my quilt is amazing.  Absolutely amazing.  I am so excited.  (I have to do the binding, but I promise I'll post a picture soon...  once it's all done). 

So I met Melanie through her husband Bob.  And I met Bob through working at the funeral home.  Bob has two nicknames:  Crossword puzzle Bob and Alligator Bob.  And here's why:  at the time, there was another Bob working at the funeral home as well.  And so, when I would tell my friends about funeral home stories, I'd have to specify which Bob.  He got the nickname Crossword Puzzle Bob because he and I would work on the crossword puzzle every day at work.  He'd keep it in his office, which I passed by frequently on my way to the music box; so I'd stop in and fill in a few words or letters... then he'd stop in and fill in some, etc. (He isn't often in his office, because it's not that kind of job.)  We completed many puzzles that way.  And sometimes even the hard one!  As for how he got the Alligator Bob name...  Well, one time I went to Florida to visit Julie.  Bob requested that I bring back an alligator for him.  More specifically, an alligator that was missing a toe.  That way, when he was taking it for a walk down the street, the missing toe would be a conversation starter.  Hahaha.  Oh Bob.  He cracks me up.  Anyway, so I started calling him Alligator Bob because of that.  In case you were wondering, I didn't manage to bring back an alligator with a missing toe...  But I did manage to bring back an alligator-shaped chocolate.  He said it was an acceptable substitution ;).

So that's Bob.  He's awesome.  He has a great sense of humor and he made working at the funeral home even more fun than it already was.  He understands conversations about kegels.  And he was always up for taking me on a "field trip" out on the grounds when I wanted to do a visual check on information in a file I was working on. (I called them field trips because I was getting out of the office.)   Ahhh... some days I really miss that job.

Anyway, we'd have lots of functions.  Christmas parties, a decades party, an 80s party...  And Bob would bring Melanie.  And so I met his awesome wife.  And she is definitely amazing.  Very talented with quilting.  Very fun.  I used to house-sit for them often, before I moved out of my grandmother's house and got married.  I don't know if they realize or not how much I appreciated those opportunities.  I was glad to help them out, of course.  But even more... I was so grateful for little pockets of time where I was "on my own."  And it was always nice to keep company with their cats.  Especially Max.  He is one cool cat.  And there were also times when just Bob would be out of town, and Melanie would invite me to stay to keep her company.  Those were awesome times too.  We'd hang out until late at night watching TV together and visiting.  Those are more really good memories.

So, though today, Melanie has given me two more reasons to be incredibly grateful to know her and Bob...  The truth is, that list was pretty extensive already.  They have both blessed my life immensely.  And I know I'll never forget them and all they've done for me.  Including keeping me from melting this summer :).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: