Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Squash... In Abundance





Harvest time is already here for our squash plants.  The crookneck are looking a little puny, but I think my husband picked these to encourage the other 8 on the plants to get bigger.

But our zucchini (both yellow and green) are producing like gangbusters!  Today I shredded 4 yellows and 5 greens.  And these were on my counter when I got home from Young Women's activity tonight (hubby went to the garden without me, because I ran out of time).

I am grateful, though, for this huge abundance.  The zucchini lasts me all year in the freezer, and I make zucchini bread and zucchini brownies year-round.  I'll need to try to find some other baked-goods using zucchini, just to change up the routine this year... 

Of course, we also eat stuff fresh.  For example, we had a yellow zucchini pasta in a cream sauce tonight.  I thought it was pretty good -- and I'll make it again before summer is out, I'm sure :).

Anyway, I love having a garden.  The harvest time is such a boost -- and such a blessing.  Even when you end up with zucchini coming out your ears ;)!

(We're happy to share, by the way, if there's anyone interested.)

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: