Friday, December 6, 2013

Tawni B


Yeah, that's not really Tawni.  (What it is is delicious).

But she surprised me with those today, because she felt bad for me being home with a sick baby.  And that's only one of the ways that Tawni totally rocks.  She also dropped off two huge bins of little girl clothes, and can I say I am still doing the happy dance about that?  Seriously.  I love hand-me-downs.  (And yes, I'm still doing the happy dance about those cookies too.  I just ate two of them.  And would eat the whole box if my husband didn't know about them ;)).

So here's the thing:  there's just something about Tawni.  She has a personality that draws people to her -- and everyone wants to be her friend. 

Maybe it's her kindness and how she is so thoughtful.  The cookies from today are one example.  But I have a lemon tree she brought to our house after we lost our first baby.  She teared up as she told us that it was to represent making lemonade out of the lemons of life.  She may never fully know how much that touched me.  Because that lemon tree is more than just a plant to me.  In a way I can't explain, it makes that pregnancy real and tangible, even though we lost the baby.

Maybe it's the way she is such a great listener.  She and I were pregnant at the same time, and we would walk together some mornings, later in our pregnancies.  She'll probably say she felt like she talked a lot, but seriously...  I'm pretty sure I was the conversation hog.  I've been known to get up on my soapbox a time or two.  But she always listened.  And after we had our babies, I often would go to her house and sit and visit and we'd talk and share the difficulties of mommyhood.  And again, I'm sure I did more talking than she did.  But she listened.  And she was compassionate and empathetic. 

Maybe it's the way she puts people at ease.  I've had people describe her that way to me, and I can see why.  She is open and friendly.  She is genuinely interested in what you have to say.  She just welcomes people with a warm smile and with her sincerity.  And people feel comfortable.  She is not judgmental, and I don't think I've ever heard her say a negative thing about anyone.  She makes efforts to make sure everyone feels included.  She is a great example to me.

Maybe it's because she is so willing to help with whatever you have going.  She helped me throw a baby shower while we were both in our 3rd trimester of pregnancy.  She was asking what she could do to help me with my sick kiddo when she has 3 littlies of her own.  And I know she's headed up several baby showers -- just to make sure the woman didn't get forgotten and left without a baby shower.

She's organized and crafty and creative too.  And selfless.  And beautiful, inside and out.

Tawni is someone I really admire.  And I want to be the kind of friend she is.  The kind of person she is.

I consider it a huge blessing to know Tawni.  I'm grateful she moved into our Ward a few years back.  Grateful that she was called to serve in Primary with our presidency (she totally rocks as the secretary, by the way...).  And while I'm still completely bummed that she is now in another Ward, I'm really grateful she's still nearby and that we hang out from time to time.  And I know she's just spreading more of her joy and love to more people -- and that they, too, are being blessed by knowing her.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: