Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Virginia T

During my time in Tuscaloosa, I had one of the best church callings ever:  nursery worker!  Well, and then assistant nursery leader and then nursery leader.  But basically... I was in nursery.  Teaching the littlies who were 18 months to 3 years old. 

You ever want to feel loved...  That's where you go.  The kids are just awesome.  Half of them will come sit in your lap and the other half will run around chaotically.  But they will all listen and learn and love you, just because you're their teacher. 

It's also a good place to make friends.  Great friends.  Friends who will be a bright spot in your life for years to come (and hopefully forever). 

And that's the kind of friend I found in Virginia while we worked in nursery together with those sweet kids. 

One of the very awesomest things about Virginia is that she knows good frozen yogurt when she tastes it (she did, after all, introduce me to the Publix brand stuff).  Haha... 

Well, that's true, she did.  But there are a ton of other awesome things about Virginia.  She is part of many memories for me during my time in Tuscaloosa.  Cherished memories of moments that warm my heart and made a world of difference.

Like the time she came over and helped me change my headlight bulb (and by helped, I mean she did it for me). 

And all the times we went to the Temple together.  It was really nice to always have a friend who was willing to go along.  A friend to gab with in the car during the hour drive there and back. 

And a friend to stop and eat Chinese food with at 9:30 on a Friday night after we went to the Temple.

A friend to introduce to a whole panoply of chick flicks (like Click, 13 Going on 30, and Just Like Heaven).

A friend who lets you store all your stuff in her apartment during the 3 weeks between leaving Tuscaloosa and driving to Washington (during which time you are vacationing in Panama with your dad...).

A friend who helps you move said stuff -- not once, not twice, but three times (from one apartment to another, then into her apartment, and then into the moving van).

A friend who watches Cool Runnings with you on the projector screen in one of her classrooms (because she's a university professor) after you've had a meltdown about your horribly thinning hair.

A friend who drives you from Birmingham to Dothan during one of your visits down South.

Everyone needs a friend like Virginia.  A friend I'm grateful I have.  And grateful I got to see at Swen's (one of the best Chinese places in good ol' T-town) in October/November. 

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: