Thursday, January 2, 2014

Goals

Part of the fun of a new year is setting goals.  At least for me.

Some people call them resolutions, but I think I've come to prefer the word "goal."  Because the truth is, even though I may want to accomplish something, I'm not always resolved to do so.  And rather than get bogged down in disappointment, if I set that thing as a goal, I don't have to feel like quite as much of a failure if I don't succeed this year... or even next.  And thus, I can continue working toward that goal until I do finally achieve it. 

I was lax in setting goals for myself in 2013.  Which is a shame, really; because in previous years, I did set certain goals -- goals that I felt were attainable.  Things like writing in my journal weekly, planting a garden, setting aside a certain amount of money from each paycheck for savings.  And because I'd taken the time to set those goals (and share them online, in various degrees of specificity), I held myself accountable just as publicly at various points throughout the year...  And then, at the end of the year, I had actually accomplished several of them.  And what a great feeling it was to look back and see what I had accomplished. 

Goals, at least for me, give me motivation and direction.  They help me be a better person in many ways.  When I take the time to ponder worthy goals in various aspects of my life, and when I work toward those goals -- whether I completely achieve them or not -- I grow in knowledge and ability. 

So I am grateful for goals.  Grateful I can set them and work toward them.  Grateful we are counseled by church leaders to set goals.  Grateful I can feel like I live a more purpose-driven life through heeding that counsel and setting worthy goals. 

I haven't completely set all my goals for 2014 yet.  But in talking with my mom the other day, I decided to try something new:  setting daily goals, weekly goals, monthly goals, and yearly goals.  I already set a bunch of goals for today and made a list.  And I accomplished every single one of them.  And I think, as I get more in the swing of things, I will be able to have longer-term goals that I break down into shorter-term goals which will help me keep moving along.  Because seeing that list get all crossed-off today (even though some of the goals were simply doing a load of laundry and making dinner), felt really good, and I felt really productive.  Heck, I was really productive. 

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: