Thursday, January 9, 2014

Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad



Think the name's a mouthful?  Wait until you see the ingredient list!  I will admit, it is a bit spendy of a dish.  But it's also like a flavor explosion in your mouth.  Totally worth it

And healthy too!!  If you're eating vegan, you can eat this.  I'm an eat-mostly-anything kind of girl (well, as far as meat, it's cow and chicken and some parts of pork... like bacon), so that's not what got me to try it.  But thankfully a gal I know from church was making vegan recipes and shared this fabulous dish at a Relief Society activity in October.  I finally made it in December, and now I made it again today.  It took me a while to accrue the ingredients.  But now that I have the real pricey ones... I can make it again and again! 

I served this to my brother and his wife...  They loved it.  I took some to my friends Lea and Chuck.  They loved it.  It's pretty much delicious in no uncertain terms.  Assuming you like the exotic flavors of the ingredients. 

So, here's the recipe:

Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad

1 cup dry quinoa
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup diced red cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup cooked shelled edamame
1/2 cup sliced scallion
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup peanut butter (the raw kind is better because it's less sweet...  I made it the first time with Skippy and it was noticeably different...)
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tbsp. maple syrup
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 to 3 tbsp. lime juice (juice of one lime)

Prepare quinoa according to package directions.  You may use a rice cooker.

While quinoa is cooking, prep all vegetables (or, if you have a 7 1/2 month old... start prepping veggies about 3 hours in advance ;)).

In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, maple syrup, garlic and lime juice.  (You could zing it with a Magic Bullet or, as I do, a mini chopper thing.)

Once quinoa has come to room temperature, add all the vegetables and mix gently.  Pour dressing over top and stir to combine.  Serve cold or at room temperature.

It's seriously delicious.  And so colorful.  Just a beautiful side to anything, really.  (The picture really doesn't do it justice).  And here's a tip (since it was an issue for me)...  You can freeze fresh ginger for quite a while and just grate it frozen.  It's hard to buy a small amount of fresh ginger root, and it is not cheap.  So I can't have it going to waste!  So mine is now completely peeled (though that step is apparently unnecessary) and in a glass jar in my freezer.  The thing I read said just throw it out when it stops smelling like ginger and starts smelling like freezer ;).  Hopefully that's a long time from now!

Anyway, much thanks to Mariah for finding this awesome gem of a recipe :).  It's a keeper for sure!  And I plan for it to rock the Nilla Life for years to come!

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: