Thursday, January 30, 2014

Unexpected "I Spy" Quilt Fabrics


One of my goals for this year is to make an "I Spy" quilt for both my little munchkin and for her cousin (who is only a month older than she is). 

Considering it's been 7+ years since I made any quilt (and it was 3 of these quilts)...  And considering I was under the very awesome tutelage of my wonderful friend Donna back then...  Well...  I'm pretty sure this time, the experience will be slightly more daunting. 

Anyway, I'm very excited about these quilts.  I had so much fabric left over from when I made them for my nieces and nephews who were already born in 2005, so I was able to get a good start on it this month.  In fact, my goal was to have all the hexagons cut out from the fabrics I had before the end of the month.  And I did!  But I was still shy about 30 fabrics to reach the 133 hexagons I needed for each quilt (yeah, seriously...).  I bought some last week at JoAnn's, but I am making valiant efforts to live within the budget I created and agreed to; so I couldn't buy everything I needed all at once.  Instead, I bought 10, plus some fabric for the triangles... 

Well, Donna sent me a whole bunch of fabrics in the mail!  And many of them were already cut into hexagons!  Seriously awesome!  Saved me money and time.  (And saved my old-lady back from having to lean over my table as much...).

And honestly, I consider it a little miracle.  Which is another goal of mine:  to find a miracle in every week and make sure I put it in my journal when I write weekly. 

So I'm definitely grateful for these fabrics.  I am ready to start sewing now!  And I'm so excited.  And, as always, I'm grateful for Donna and the memories this project is bringing to the front... of days at Troy University, quilting in the periodicals storage area :).

On another note, I'm way stoked about this goal thing...  I have felt so productive this month as I've set my annual goals and then broken them down into monthly goals and weekly goals.  It feels so great to cross things off the list (or in my case, erase them from the white board) and to see the progress I'm making!!  It's making me feel happier and better about me!

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: