Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Laptop


Back in 2009, one of my major goals was to get out of debt.  I was living with family at the time, which helped me achieve that goal. 

So in 2010, once I was debt-free, my first major purchase (for which I paid cash -- I was determined not to go into more debt!) was a laptop.  I had several reasons for wanting one.  One of which was for my job at the time (I was helping create a filing system for a local cemetery). 

I am not super-computer savvy.  In fact, I have next to NO knowledge, beyond use of basic programs and the internet.  I'm not a gamer, so I didn't need anything with massively huge processing abilities.  I needed something that could run basic programs (like the Microsoft Suite) and the internet.  I needed something that I could afford.  I spent a few weeks watching the ads and checking things out.  I started seeing which brands were cheaper -- which models and such.  And I started doing research (because, as we all know, cheaper is sometimes NOT the way to go...).  I asked friends who were more computer literate (or whose husbands were).  I even made it a matter of prayer.  I felt like this was a big purchase -- and I didn't want to buy a lemon!

And I ended up choosing this laptop.  I've had it for 4 years now.  And aside from lousy speakers and the fact that the battery is no longer holding a charge (so it's not much of a laptop these days...), it has done all I've asked of it.  And it allows us to do so much (as it is now our only computer, since hubby's died a year ago).  We use it for paying bills, checking bank accounts, tracking our budget, keeping in touch with those we love, chronicling life, researching, purchasing, planning, surfing...  I really am grateful for this laptop.  Though it may not be the top of the line (and never was, quite frankly), it has been all I've needed.  And I feel it was one of the best purchases I've ever made -- and, I believe, an answer to prayer.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: