Monday, January 20, 2014

That I Was Raised Not to Base Value on Color

I didn't grow up in the 1960s.  Or even before them.

I didn't grow up in the South.  Or even in the United States.

But I know that one doesn't have to be born then or there to know what racism  looks like.

I'm grateful that I was raised to value people, not skin color.  That I was given opportunities to look for good before being tainted by someone's opinion of the bad.  

And I'm grateful I grew up in a time and place where society didn't try to sway me otherwise.

Because the value of a person is who they are, not what they look like. 

And if I felt any other way...  Well, I'd have missed out on a whole lot of amazing friendships.

So I'm grateful for parents who saw good for good and bad for bad and not because of the way a person looked.  I'm grateful for parents who instilled that in me.  I'm grateful I can teach my baby girl the value of a person... the worth of a soul.  That I can teach her we are all children of the same loving Heavenly Father.

And I'm grateful to have known (and to know still) amazing people of different colors, shapes, sizes, educational backgrounds, and religions; because they have certainly enriched my life and made me a better person.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: