Saturday, January 11, 2014

Road Bump/Reflector Thingies

I'm sure they have a more technical (and more correct) term.  I don't know it, though.  I only know I'm so grateful for them today. 


See, today (of all days), I decided to join my mom and mother-in-law in going to the Temple.  It's the first time I've been since baby girl was born.  I have some attachment issues, apparently.  I didn't want not to be here when she woke up in the morning.  But, I did it.  And we both survived.  (Was there ever a doubt?)

And the reason I say "today of all days" is because today was some really craptastic weather.  Yeah, we get rain in Washington the majority of the year.  But today's rain was, in many instances, like Alabama rain.  Torrential rain.  And, since I hadn't gone and driven (thereby leaving my mom and mother-in-law to do all the driving for 8 months), I volunteered to drive (I did that on Monday, though).  And at 3:00 this morning, when I woke up and heard the wind howling and rain coming down steadily outside.... I suddenly remembered that the van's wipers are pretty sad of late.  Like really pretty sad.  And I started getting nervous and contemplating options.  Which kept me from sleep for a bit.

But then, when I woke up and left to get my mom... It wasn't raining!  Yay!

But that didn't last long.  And those wipers were awful.  And there were moments in the traffic going to Seattle where I was way tensed up with the rain pouring down, the wipers going full-speed, really ominous dark clouds above me, cars all around me, and water spraying me from other vehicles.  And I was so thankful for those little bumpy reflector things that, along with the white paint, mark the different lanes.  Because they kept me on my path safely many times today, when even the painted lines weren't visible.

I'm sure there's a figurative parallel to this, but that's for another time and place ;).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: