Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Kira H

I admire strong women.  Bold women.  Women who are incredibly confident and don't seem to worry about what others think.

I admire that a lot because I don't think I am one.

But Kira is.  And she is someone I really admire.  She is someone I'm grateful to call a friend.  And I know I can rely on her -- even if I send her the most random email message with questions about seemingly-random things.

I'll never forget the night I met Kira.  She was sitting next to me at a bridal shower.  I remember how outgoing she was.  How easy to smile.  How happy. 

I remember that she was one of my visiting teachers for a time when I lived in Dothan.  And it was then that I learned about her love for artichokes -- and not the stuff in the can.  I myself have never eaten artichoke any way but as hearts that were canned...  But if I ever want to, I know who I can ask for some pointers!  It's strange the random things you remember about people.

I love that we share a few theme party memories.  Like energizing glow-in-the-dark plastic fangs (while they were already in the mouth...).  Or eating green food for St. Patrick's Day.  Or oreo truffles that looked more like they were covered in orange sherbert than in white chocolate tinted orange.  And sitting on a fireplace wearing leis and taking crazy pose pictures. 

I'm grateful we share other memories too.  Like going to see Elder Scott speak in Florida.  Like trading The Never Ending Story for a Rainbow Brite cake pan (I still think I got the better end of that trade!).  And, most recently, sitting at a dinner table with our other amazing friends laughing and talking and visiting while I was in Alabama.

I'll always appreciate Kira for the love and kindness she's shown my sister over the years.  It's amazing the way -- when you love someone -- you hope others will see all those loveable qualities too.  And Kira has done that for my sister.  And it has meant the world to me.

Kira is a great example to me of strength and confidence.  Of a loving heart.  And she is a wonderful friend.  I'm grateful she is among those I call mine.

What are you grateful for today?

2 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

all those parties. :)

Kira =] said...

Way to make me cry, dear friend. Isn't it amazing to see how others view us? How all faults we think stick out and wave a flag at anyone looking are completely missed or passed over by those who truly see us? Thank you.

I'm very thankful for our friendship. Especially the laughter, hugs, & tears. I still can't be reverent during prayer when certain women are around. =]

And your sister- I was so grateful to find someone like me at camp. She's such a dear- how could I not love her?