Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Karen B

As I mentioned a couple days ago, I was recently called to serve with the young women of my ward at church.  Not only does this new calling make me think back to days of my youth, but it also makes me remember the first time I was called to serve in such a capacity.  It was in 2006 in Alabama.  It was only for a short few months, because I moved away to attend graduate school shortly thereafter.  But it was a wonderful experience for me, and I was able to really get to know my friend Karen.

I had the opportunity to know Karen before that time, though.  My first memory of her was shortly after I graduated high school.  She was one of mine and my mom's visiting teachers.  I remember her coming by our house to visit and she had one of her babies with her.  I'm pretty sure that baby is now around 16 years old!

Then, a few years later, while I was still playing the piano for Primary (and I use the term playing liberally, since I'm really not very good...), Karen was called to serve as the Primary chorister and teach the kids the songs.  And that's when we really started getting to know each other.  And I thought she was wonderful.  I remember one Sunday, I had taken my baby niece with me to church while watching her for my sister.  I remember asking Karen some questions about babies.  Both because she was a seasoned mom and because she was a labor and delivery nurse.  (And now that I've had a baby... I have a whole new appreciation for what Karen must do at work!  I mean, the nurse practically delivered our baby girl... and she was the greatest cheerleader as I was laboring.)

And then, eventually, I was called to serve as one of Karen's counselors in Young Women.  Along with the ever-marvelous Stacy.  And I have to say that was one of the most beautiful working/friendship situations ever.  I felt like we were unified and that we got along really well.  And it gave me an opportunity to really become friends with Karen.  She and I would hang out quite a bit back in those days.  And even after I moved away, I can remember talking on the phone for a few hours at a time.

I think my favorite memories I share with Karen are our trips to the Temple.  She (along with Stacy and Becky) was there the first time I went.  What a treasured memory that is for me.  And then Karen and I would meet up at the Birmingham Alabama Temple every so often, once I'd moved away to Tuscaloosa.  After our time at the Temple, we'd drive over to the Cheesecake Factory and enjoy delicious food (and cheesecake, of course!)! 

I'm so grateful for Karen.  And, as is true with all my Alabama friends... I sure do wish I lived closer to her.

Honestly, I often wish I could collect all my friends and have them in one location -- near me!  But I guess that's sort of selfish ;)...

What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

KLB said...

Hila, I really enjoyed reading that post! I miss having you near!! Such wonderful memories though!!!!