Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Sunscreen Song

Back around the time I was graduating high school (which was 15 year ago -- ack!), a song had come out that I loved.  It is called Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen).  I tend to just call it The Sunscreen Song.  I loved the song.  It has been among my favorites ever since I first heard it.

I love it even more now.

Over the years, I have come to realize the truth behind so many of the pieces of advice in the song.  And something tells me I will yet understand more of them as time marches ever onward.

I am amazed at how often lyrics from this song pop into my mind pertaining to a situation in which I find myself.

For example, last night, while enjoying some frozen yogurt with some of the young women, we were discussing next steps for some of those graduating.  And some admitted to feeling so stressed out, because they aren't sure what they want to do with their life.  I assured them my own choices changed several times over the years.  But I also had these lyrics pop into my head:  don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.  The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives.  I'm not saying it's not good to have a plan.  But I happen to know plans change.  So if you aren't sure what you want to do...  Just start somewhere and you'll figure it out.  It'll all be okay.

Just the other day, I was telling my husband about how, when I look back at pictures of myself, I realize how much I wish I had been able to see myself as being as pretty as I was.  I never felt pretty.  But as I look back now, I see that I was.  And I don't say that in a big-headed way.  I just know how much I was down on myself when I was younger.  How I was so discouraged that I didn't have a boyfriend in high school.  And I wish I could have seen myself in a different light.  But I think most girls feel that way.  And that made me quote another lyric to my husband:  Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth.  Nevermind.  You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded.  But trust me... In 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.   

 Other gems in the song:  don't waste your time on jealousy.  Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind; the race is long.  And in the end, it's only with yourself.

Do not read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly.

Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle -- because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young. (I love Facebook for this!)


Get to know your parents.  You never know when they'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings.  They are your best link to the past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Don't expect anyone else to support you.

And, of course, wear sunscreen.  It'll keep you from getting burned.

I just love the song.  There may be some advice I wouldn't heed.  But I think much of it is good.  And just hearing it always makes me smile :).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: