Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sticky Fabri-Solvy


So I've mentioned before that I decided to do an I Spy quilt this year for my munchkin.  I always knew I wanted to do one of these quilts for each of my kids.  So I decided to make it happen. 

My goal is to have it done by Baby Girl's first birthday.  I have less than a month!  Gasp!

When I made these for nieces and a nephew (a decade ago), I had the awesome help (and mentoring and instruction) of my friend Donna.  This time, I've been winging it (and trying to recall decade-old information)!  (And miraculously have managed to get somewhere ;).)

But Donna has a sewing machine which does embroidery.  And so, back then, she embroidered our words around one of the borders.  I don't have such a machine.  And couldn't find anyone who does. 

Ergo, I find myself hand-embroidering.  It's killer.  But I'm actually accomplishing it!  And I am pretty sure it wouldn't look even remotely legible if not for this sticky fabri-solvy. 

Who knows where the name came from.  Shoot, I didn't even know anything like this existed until I talked to Donna a couple months back and she told me about this stuff that she used for embroidering on a project which can just be thrown in the washer and it dissolves! 

And an even bigger bonus?  It's printable!  So I loaded it in my printer, printed my words, stick it to the border, and stitch away!  (Too bad the stitching is the hard part ;).) 

It is slow going, but I'm making progress.  And when it's all said and done, I can throw the quilt in to wash and all that should be left is the stitched words! 

Once again, Donna saves the day! 

It may not be as fancy as the other quilts with the machine-embroidery...  But there's a whole lot of extra time and love and effort.  And that counts for something, right?

And, I'm expanding my horizons:  I'm learning how to embroider on a quilt. 

Anyway, I'm thankful for this sticky fabri-solvy.  It's helping me get this done and have it look semi-decent.  And I'm pretty stoked (even though I'm only 3 words in ;)...)

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: